Women's Empowerment Principles (WEPs)
We are proud supporters of the Women’s Empowerment Principles (WEPs), an initiative by UN Women and UN Global Compact. Our goal is to promote and integrate these principles into all aspects of Canadian life, including small businesses, government, and civil society.
"Women, if the soul of the nation is to be saved, I believe you must become its soul." -Coretta Scott King
What are the WEPs?
The Women’s Empowerment Principles provide guidance for businesses to empower women in the workplace, marketplace, and community. They aim to transform corporate behavior by making gender equality a core business objective.
At BPW Canada, empowering women is a top priority. We invite all stakeholders in Canada to join us in supporting the WEPs and encourage business leaders to implement them. By doing so, we demonstrate our commitment to gender equality in Canada.
How can stakeholders use the WEPs?
The WEPs are not just for businesses. They provide a platform for all stakeholders to advance gender equality. Together, we can create a Canada where women’s economic capacity is unleashed, and women are fully engaged in leadership and decision-making roles. The Principles also guide governments and civil society in their engagement with businesses.
The Seven Principles:
- Establish high-level corporate leadership for gender equality.
- Treat all women and men fairly at work, respecting human rights and non-discrimination.
- Ensure the health, safety, and well-being of all workers.
- Promote education, training, and professional development for women.
- Implement practices that empower women in enterprise development, supply chain, and marketing.
- Promote equality through community initiatives and advocacy.
- Measure and publicly report progress to achieve gender equality.
By embracing these principles, we can create a more inclusive and equal society. Join us in supporting the Women’s Empowerment Principles and together, let’s make a positive impact on gender equality in Canada.